Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ribery boost for Bayern

Bayern Munich coach Jurgen Klinsmann said Wednesday his side have welcomed back joker Franck Ribery to get the German giants back on track ahead of next week's Champions League game against Lyon.

Ribery, 25, was set to play his first game for three months on Wednesday night in the German Cup against Nuremberg having battled back from surgery following torn ankle ligaments in June.

After defending champions Bayern were demolished 5-2 at home last Saturday by title rivals Werder Bremen, Klinsmann says the return of joker Ribery in training on Monday gave his glum side a huge boost.

"The team has enjoyed having its joker back," Klinsmann told German sports agency SID.

And Ribery's teammates said his presence is just as important for moral on the pitch as off it.

"We need Franck in order to play to our full potential," said Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.

"A player like him can decide a move with his vision and cheek.

"He has to play if he is fit."

French side Lyon are Bayern's next Champions League opponents at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday and Ribery's return is perfectly timed to give him some match practice.

After Bayern's German Cup game on Wednesday, Ribery will also line up against Hanover 96 on Saturday in the Bundesliga and admits he needs the game time.

"I have done a lot of work alone with the physio - five or six weeks - so it has been nice to train with the team again," he said.

"What I need now is match practice."

Ribery tore the ankle ligaments in June playing for France against Italy at Euro 2008, but having won the Bundesliga title with Bayern last season, the Frenchman says he is very happy in Munich.

"I am with a big club, I have no thoughts of leaving," said Ribery, who joined Bayern for 25 million euros last summer and is under contract until 2011.

"I want to win the title again and I want to play like the fans enjoy."

No comments: